Northeast Stoney Crossings Study: 80 Avenue NE and 64 Avenue NE
The City is currently evaluating the function, design and construction timing of the approved crossings at 80 Avenue N.E. and 64 Avenue N.E.
About The Project
The overall intent of this study is to examine the feasibility of a flyover over Stoney Trail at 80 Avenue N.E. and 64 Avenue N.E. and to determine the preferred network connection(s) for the area. Key goals are to:
- Investigate the feasibility of different flyover options at 80 Avenue N.E. and 64 Avenue N.E.
- Determine which flyover option(s) are preferred and how they will integrate with the surround transportation network.
- In the short-term, advance the design of an 80 Avenue N.E. flyover that will provide fire and emergency access.
Why a flyover is required at 80 Avenue N.E.?
A flyover at 80 Avenue N.E. is required in all concepts. The flyover is required to provide the 7-minute emergency response time for the Calgary Fire Department approved by Council to the future development east of Stoney Trail. This development area is not large enough to support the capital and operating costs required for a stand-alone emergency response station. Therefore, the proposed solution was a crossing of Stoney Trail at 80 Avenue N.E. that would be partially funded by the developer. Several different response routes were tested by Calgary Fire Department, but only the 80 Avenue N.E. flyover met the required response time.
Based on “What We Heard” through the initial public engagement phase in March 2020, a number of community priorities were identified. These priorities, along with The City’s policy framework and technical guidelines, were used to assess each proposed concept.
Priorities, identified through the first two phases of engagement, along with The City’s policy framework and technical guidelines, were used to evaluate each of the proposed concepts. Based on this evaluation, The City will be proceeding with concept 3, which includes:
80 Avenue N.E.
Single-lane crossing providing access for:
- Emergency services (Fire, EMS, and Police)
- Active modes (pedestrians and cyclist)
64 Avenue N.E.
Four-lane crossing providing access for:
- Public traffic
- Emergency services (Fire, EMS and Police)
- Active modes (pedestrians and cyclists)
80 Avenue N.E. Flyover
Accommodates: Emergency services (Fire, EMS and Police), Transit, Active modes (pedestrians and cyclists)
Does not accommodate: Public motor vehicles
64 Avenue N.E. Flyover
Accommodates: Emergency services (Fire, EMS and Police), Transit, Active modes (pedestrians and cyclists), Public motor vehicles
Timing of Flyover Construction
80 AVENUE N.E.
- Needed in the short-term in order to provide adequate emergency services to areas east of Stoney Trail.
- The detailed design of the flyover is beginning, and construction is expected to start in 2022 with a targeted completion of fall 2023.
64 AVENUE N.E.
- Long-term improvement with ongoing conversations between The City of Calgary and Alberta Transportation.
To be implemented in two stages:
- First stage: Two-lane bridge (with multi-use pathway) would be constructed.
- Second stage: Additional two-lane bridge (with multi-use pathway) would be added.
- The flyover is not currently funded or in The City’s 10-year plan.
With the type/timing of the flyovers known, the rest of the corridors were reviewed to identify any supporting improvements (e.g. pedestrian crossings or intersection improvements) that would be beneficial.
80 AVENUE N.E.
- The recommended 80 Avenue N.E. flyover does not accommodate public vehicular traffic. Therefore, no additional traffic will be attracted to the 80 Avenue N.E. corridor other than neighbourhood growth in the area. The detailed design of the flyover is beginning, and construction is expected to start in 2022.
- Emergency service and transit traffic will increase slightly as the flyover will be used to provide access to Homestead. These volumes are expected to be minimal.
64 AVENUE N.E.
- The addition of the 64 Avenue N.E. flyover will add additional traffic to the existing 64 Avenue N.E. corridor.
- The existing 64 Avenue N.E. corridor was designed with the future flyover and volumes in mind and has capacity to accommodate it.
Note that more details and images can be found on the City’s website at engage.calgary.ca/NEstoneycrossing.
The City of Calgary