Changes to Cart Collection This Fall
Starting in November, green cart collection will be once every other week, resuming weekly in the spring.
Here’s what you need to know:
- Fill Your Green Cart First: Leaves, branches, grass, and plants can go directly inside the green cart. If it’s full, use paper yard waste bags for extra waste.
- Extra Yard Waste Bags: Place them at least 0.5 meters (2 feet) away from your cart. Roll the tops closed to prevent spills, and make sure you can lift the bag with one hand.
- No Plastic Bags: They are not allowed in your green cart.
Do You Have Too Much Yard Waste?
You can drop off yard waste free of charge at any landfill from Friday, September 22, 2023, to Saturday, November 4, 2023. Check your schedule at calgary.ca/collection and sign up for reminders. Visit calgary.ca/waste/drop-off/yard-waste for more information and make your yard clean-up a breeze!
Start in a Better Place with Your Food Waste
Did you know that Waste Reduction Week is October 16 – 21st? Reducing food waste can help you make the most of your food budget, reduce trips to the grocery store and positively impact our community, economy, and environment.
Here are some actions you can take to start saving money, time and food in your home:
- Use a grocery list and meal plan to avoid buying food you won’t use.
- Schedule one day a week to cook from the freezer and cupboard only.
- Label leftovers so they don’t become mysteries in the freezer.
- Set aside the fridge’s top shelf as a ‘leftovers’ or ‘eat first’ shelf.
- Use blemished or unused produce in soup, smoothies, or baking.
Check out more tips at calgary.ca/foodwaste.