Spring Cleaning Tips
Cleaning around the house
The City of Calgary wants to remind you that when you start your spring cleaning around the house, find the right place for your unwanted items:
- Gently used toys, small furniture, and pots and pans: Donate to a local charity. Small broken household items go in your black cart.
- Old paint and cleaning chemicals: Take them to a designated fire station or City landfill for safe disposal. Visit calgary.ca/hhw to view locations.
- Clothing, shoes, and linens: Donate useable clothes, shoes, and linens to a local charity or take them to a textiles recycling bin at City landfills.
- Old electronics: Take your old and broken gadgets to an electronics drop-off for proper recycling. Check out the list of locations at calgary.ca/electronics.
- Household batteries: Safely dispose of household batteries by taking them to a participating retailer for free recycling.
Learn more at calgary.ca/battery.
- Fridge and pantry cleanup: Remove food from packaging and put it in your green cart for composting.
If you’re unsure how to dispose of an item, look it up at calgary.ca/whatgoeswhere. And don’t forget to clear snow off your blue cart lids and keep the lid closed to ensure that paper and other recyclables stay dry!
The City of Calgary